Sunday, November 15, 2009

am i really THANKFUL for 15 bags of leaves?

Well, maybe not. But I'm trying to think on the bright side. I just finished an hour and a half raking my yard (and it's not even that big!). The largest tree on the block just happens to be in my neighbor's yard, a little too close for comfort to my property line. I swear I am not making this up, but I have more leaves in my yard than they do in theirs! Must be something how the wind blows through, I don't know. And every year, I hold a grudge against them and their monstrous tree.

But on the other hand, as much as I dislike raking, I have to think on the bright side. If there was no need to rake, we'd never have the beautiful changing of the leaves which makes Virginia so beautiful in the fall. Autumn is my favorite time of year, and part of the reason I love it so much is I love the colors of the leaves and the mountains alive and on fire with golds, oranges, reds and yellows. I guess if I have to spend a few hours raking on a Saturday, I can deal. So I am thankful that I live in a state that has the best autumn has to offer: hayrides, apple picking, fall festivals, rides in the mountains to look at the leaves, the smell of the crisp fall air, football games, spiced apple cider and pumpkin pies.

 

2 comments:

RAP said...

You can come to my house and rake if you want. I spent part of the morning blowing/raking leaves. Yuck!

SJP said...

Haha! I don't think I enjoy it that much! What a way to spend the first sunny day in weeks, huh!?