Thursday, November 5, 2009

Seattle: More than just Rain and Granolas

As you probably inferred from a few posts back, I was in Seattle recently, and I have to say, despite the whirlwind trip, Seattle is a great place. Apparently all the rumors about the rain and it being cold are just that, rumors. The weather was gorgeous while I was there. Apparently there is a rainy season that can be a little miserable, but other than that, not too shabby. On the other Seattle stereotype, all preconceived notions you may have of tree huggers wearing Baja Hoodies and Teva sandals are spot on. Seattle was definitely a green and healthy city full of yoga going young professionals. Most of the women didn't wear makeup and I was the only fool to be seen in a suit and leather (horrors, I know!) pumps.

While there, I got to enjoy the world famous Pike's Place Market. I really wish I could have been there on a Saturday to see more of the "show" it's famous for, but I did see a few fish being tossed through the air by the suspiciously attractive fish farmers. There was some sort of chant or song they all sang, but I wasn't able to understand them. I also, of course, had to get a cup of java (ok okay, hot chocolate, everyone knows I don't care for coffee) at the original Starbucks. I bought this tall White Hot Chocolate knowing full well I was buying into a total tourist trap that Starbucks, founded in the original city known to love the locals and hate the big bad wolves that come in and close down the mom and pop stores, milks for all it's worth. I wasn't able to go up in the Space Needle, but I did get to walk around the base. I'm sure it would have been a lot cooler up in the Needle, down below, it was neat and all, but maybe not worth the walk on my injured foot.



One thing I noticed is how residential friendly the city was. All the condos/apartments were gorgeous! Richmond's trying, with the lofts on the Canal, but we still have a ways to go. These apartment complexes were so gorgeous, you could easily forget about the gorgeous mountain and water view. Ok, I won't get carried away, but I think you can get the general idea. Here's a picture I took of Mt. Rainer.


Since it's getting late and I took the red eye home this morning and basically just now washed my face for the first time in over 36 hours, I think it's time for me to head off to bed.

Hope you all have a great Friday tomorrow!
xo, S

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the update and yes, it has been a great Friday esp now that I have a little extra workday entertainment to keep me occupied!! ~Eweb