Sunday, November 15, 2009

Flowers always make the day sunny

Warning! If you do not like overly sappy stories, this is not the entry for you.

The Richmond Half Marathon was this past weekend, and I'd been suffering from a severe case of plantar fasciitis for about 6 months. However, I was pushing through, the race was something I really wanted to do, and the pain was "manageable." Granted, I was hopping around like a gimp, could barely put weight on my foot, but I was going to do it! And I managed to get through about 3/4ths of the training. In mid October though, it caught up to me, and I literally was incapacitated. After a run, I literally could not walk, I was in so much pain. I had gone to physical therapy, had seen two sports medicine doctors, a podiatrist, was wearing a night splint, was doing all the stretching, got inserts for all my shoes, was wearing Sanitas, doing Yoga toes, got two cortisone shots, and nothing was helping. Finally it was time to head the doctor's advice and stop running. Needless to say, I was very upset. I don't think it really makes sense to a non-runner, but this was my first half, I was really looking forward to it! I had trained, made friends, was part of the team, and then bam, it was all taken away from me.

During the same time as my painful training, I had taken up company with a certain handsome young fellow that we shall call Beefcake. We only went out on two dates before he was deployed as he's in the Navy. Those that know me well know this was all too typical of me. 1. Of course he was in the military, as mentioned in earlier posts, it's a well known fact I have a military fetish, and 2. I always like guys that leave (Coach and Major). So, of course it was only fitting that he was a combination of the two.

Beefcake was very very cute. He was polite, smart, and hot as all get out. A real beefcake! I couldn't be too upset that he was being deployed since I barely knew him, but thought I'll keep in touch and chances are I'll still be available in 8 months when he gets back and if he's interested, then we'll see what happens.

And that was about all I thought about it. I'd been meaning to get to the store for sometime to gather his care package, but things came up, etc etc., and next thing I know, he'd been gone for about a month.

This past Friday, as I'm walking up to my front door, I notice a odd shape in front of my door (it was already dark at this time due to a combination of the bad weather we'd been having and the time change). I wasn't really sure what it was, but as I neared, I noticed it was flowers! Who could these be from? I wondered, thought maybe my mom, she knew how upset I was, maybe for my next door neighbor and the delivery people made a mistake. I didn't know, but I would find out when I got inside.

As I opened my screen door, I noticed another bag sitting in between the screen and the regular door. Now, my interest could barely be contained. I ran inside and opened the card and almost burst into tears. (I tend to be a little overly dramatic and can cry easily, plus I'd been on the verge of tears all day thinking about how I wouldn't be running in the half, I know I know, constant PMS, but what can I say?)

The flowers and teddy bear (what was in the bag) turned out to be from Beefcake! He wrote he was sorry I was feeling down, and if I needed a hug (a reference to a facebook post I had up on my wall), I could hug the bear, otherwise, I could take out my frustration out on him. Then, he left some inspirational quote. I really can't describe the emotions that I was feeling. I was just so overwhelmed that I didn't deserve something that sweet from anyone, especially not Beefcake when I couldn't be bothered to go out and buy some gum and magazines to send overseas to him.

This seriously was the sweetest thing any guy has ever done for me. 

I wanted to talk to him, to call him, but I couldn't, his phone wasn't working anymore. Instead, I sent an email, where I tried to articulate how thankful I was, and how sweet his gesture was.

Isn't that the sweetest thing you've ever heard? I just felt very blessed and fortunate at that point to have met him, even if it has only been for a brief period of time.

No comments: