Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Blake Lively's Hair is the new "Rachel"

Word on the streets (New York Times streets to be exact) is that Blake Lively has the new “it” hairdo. Apparently, “the Serena” is the most commonly requested hairstyle across salons, taking its place among the other top requested hairstyle of all time “the Rachel.”




Editor's note: You know what's funny about the above photos? Jennifer Aniston is probably 25-27 in this photo, and Blake Lively is about 22, but doesn't Jennifer look way older? I like to think that while I'm only 4 years older than D, I hope the age difference isn't as drastic as in these photos! Although, I think Jen looks much better now than she did back then... Keep on getting better with age girl!!

Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Before I get too far into this blog, I want to reassure my readers I do love Blake's hair (what’s not to love about big, blonde and beautiful?) but I just don’t get what all the hype is about!

First off, I don’t think it counts as a “haircut.” The Rachel was a haircut; there was definitely definition and texture that differentiated it from other shoulder length haircuts of that time. Hairstylists needed to be skilled to give someone the Rachel. You go in now and ask for the Serena, and I think besides being told to grow your hair long and make it blonde, there’s nothing much else that can be done to you other than adding extensions to make it more full. Clearly she has extensions in there people! That’s the beauty of being in Hollywood. You can have gorgeous hair all the time. Look at Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, constantly fluctuating between butt-length hair and a short bob. How ever do they do it!? Extensions! And all movie stars have unbelievably thick, luscious hair. Once again, however do they do it!? Extensions!

Secondly, I don’t think there’s anything “new” about her hair. Long and blonde has always been coveted, and the tousled beach waves have been in for about 5 years now. So, really there’s nothing new here, other than Blake being the new “it” girl. I can think of hundreds of young Hollywood starlets with the exact same haircut: Jessica Simpson, Lauren Conrad, Carrie Underwood, Hilary Duff, Miley Cyrus. I think it must have less to do with her hair, and more to do with people just want to look like her and it’s easier to emulate her hair than it is to lose 50 lbs and grow 5 inches.

I currently have the exact opposite haircut.


2 comments:

RAP said...

I love this post. I agree the Serena is not a hair cut. First off I'd have to get some kind of perm to even get my hair close to that and add about 10 inches of length... not to mention multiple dye jobs. You are kind of rocking a Katie Holmes' look. I think LC has good hair though. And Jennifer does look better with age. Her hair is better too. The Rachel was not flattering to everyone I knew a couple of girls in high school that tried to rock that and it was a massive fail.

SJP said...

Hah, total fail for some girls, while some looked awesome. It just goes back to what we said earlier, you have to do what looks best on you, not blindly follow the trends!