Saturday, December 26, 2009

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus

So, I know I'm all over the place with missing days, picking Santas or Grinches depending on my mood, but today is the day after Christmas and it is a Santa day, so I'm getting back on track.

Today's Santa is Christmas in general.
- Christmas Eve - I always love Christmas Eve more than Christmas day. There's a special feeling in the air, you're snuggled in with your family, it's dark and quiet out, there's a stillness in the air that only comes on Christmas Eve. I love Christmas Eve candlelight service, and that sleepy time where you're sitting around the fire place with your family, no one wants to be the first one to go to bed because you're just so happy and comfortable in this very moment.
- Egg nog - yummy, especially homemade with my grandpa's recipe, not that nasty stuff bought at the store
- The real reason for the Season - Jesus' birthday, duh
- Presents - but really, I know it sounds trite, but now that I'm older, it's more about the giving, rather than receiving. I get more excited knowing someone's going to open the perfect gift I spent time thinking about and I just know they'll love it
- All the lights - I really wish we could have the lights up year round. The neighborhoods look so beautiful with lights up. There's a special "fan" light look that I am in love with. I've never seen lights like this in any city, or even in Richmond outside of the fan. I'll try to take some photos and post up, but it's the random lights that are strung together that don't match, but looks so beautiful together. Like there's be a row of colored lights, next to a string of white, next to a solid line of red, next to a string of big balls. I can't really describe it in justice, but it's very Richmond, and very beautiful. I also love downtown when the skyline is illuminated.
- Time with family. I'm sure your family is pretty great, but mine is awesome. I love spending time with them, but it's sad that we can't do it more than once or twice a year.


No comments: